Wednesday, February 13, 2013

EDUC 693 - Graphic Organizers & Technology

In my pullout class today, we worked on creating a plan for writing using the topic: "Fun ways to celebrate winter, or things to do in the winter." Using my action research plan as a guide, I incorporated cooperative learning structures into my lesson. I had the students work in pairs and collaborate with a partner to fill a large sheet of paper with all of their ideas during a brainstorm session. Even though the materials were simple - oversized paper and markers - the learning and discussion taking place was at a higher level. It was so exciting to see my more reluctant students feeling comfortable enough to speak up and share their ideas with the group, making relevant statements and comments that added to student learning and contributed positively to the overall class culture.

In addition to incorporating the cooperative learning structures into my lesson planning, I have also begun to increase students' use of technology in my classroom, keeping in mind the real-world demands of the 21st century. In thinking about the DSIL, I am reminded how adequate technological skills are a non-negotiable in today's society; however, in the vast majority of public schools, technology is still seen as a class to take rather than a tool to access learning in all environments. When I started incorporating the use of netbooks in my curriculum, my 6th graders struggled with logging on to the computer, accessing the internet, and signing into their school provided gmail accounts. Today they are able to do this in their sleep. I am so proud of the accomplishments that they have made in becoming more tech savvy, and am looking forward to the ways in which we will progress technologically as a class as the school year continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment